I love black bean burgers, which means in my house I’m the odd man out. That used to be ok because I didn’t make them – I would only buy them when we went out so no one else had to put up with them (I happen to love the ones from Blimpies but Subway has a good one too). That is, until now.
- 16-oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 or a small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/2 – 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Dice the bell pepper and onions
- Mash the beans (optionally reserving some to mix back in after mashing). I find a regular pot and a potato masher work well.
- Mix the beans, peppers, and onions together
- Mix in the egg, chili powder, and cumin
- Mix in a half-cup of bread crumbs
- Add more bread crumbs, a little at a time, until the mixture isn’t wet anymore
- Form into patties
- Fry in a little oil on medium heat, or better yet in hamburger grease, until both sides are toasted. Serve on a hamburger bun.
Extra patties can be frozen for later.