I discovered the D’Angelo’s sandwich chain in my late teens and fell in love with their ‘Number 9’ grilled sandwich. It’s very easy to make for yourself and it’s delicious!
This recipe makes enough to feed two or three people (or more, if they’re kids).
- 1 or 2 chicken breasts (2 if they’re small) or a steak’s worth of beef
- a quarter of a green bell pepper, diced
- half a small yellow onion, diced
- a couple of spoonfuls of sliced mushrooms (optional, kids get weird about ‘shrooms)
- a couple of slices of american cheese
- a loaf of french bread (softer is better)
- add a little vegetable oil to a hot pan on medium heat, and throw in the onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Let it soften.
- While the above is cooking, dice the meat and add to the vegetables. Occasionally flip the whole thing over so nothing burns and the meat cooks evenly.
- While the above is cooking, slice the bread grinder-style
- When the meat is cooked, pile everything together and add the cheese to cover it
- When the cheese melts enough to collapse into the meat and veggies, scoop it into the bread and serve.